Thursday, July 29, 2010

First Mission Trip With Southwest

Please bear with me. I'm a first time blogger.
This is my first experience with the Southwest youth. This has been a surprising experience. I've never worked with a youth group on a mission trip before so I did not know exactly what to expect. The energy level has definitely been very high in spite of everyone's fatigue. But I have been amazed by how everyone has keep such a positive, Christ-focused attitude. I must congratulate the Southwest congregation for having a very impressive group of young people. I am surprised by the way they support each other so much. No one ever seems to get an attitude. Everyone is constantly looking for ways to help others whether it be bringing them water or taking a turn with a shovel.
However, the thing that most surprises me is how much everyone has ministered to and encouraged me (especially with the singing). I feel Jesus' presence very strongly with the group.
I guess I should say some things that I observed today. Well, I tried to float around and experience a little bit of everyone and the jobs they were doing. The thing that made the greatest impression on me was how the Southwest team in spite of the language barrier is reaching out to and encouraging their Panamanian brothers and sisters. The desire to express love and gratitude transcends the language barrier. I can see bonds that have formed that I know will never be forgotten by the people here.
I feel blessed by this team and I know that Panama is being blessed as well.

3 comments:

  1. Reading the posts are so uplifting! I am so proud of each and everyone of you for giving of yourself on this journey to spread the love of Jesus to others! You truly are the hands and feet of Jesus. This particular group of teens have been together for a long time and know each other very well. I pray that they will always stay close to each other even when they are far away. I love each and everyone of you!
    Ms. Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlyn,
    I forget to tell you, picked up Garrett from camp and he LOVED 4th session! He said it was the best eleven days of his entire life! Oh...how we LOVE Camp Wyldewood!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm overwhelmed with tears every time I read one of your posts. Like Leah said, this group is very close to each other and I'm so thankful for that!! I too hope they can continue to lean on each other (even if some of them have chosen to go away for college - great more tears). You guys are truly an inspiration.

    Debbie

    Daniel, I wish I were there with you!! And I know that as soon as you read that you mumbled under your breath "she would die here"!! Maybe some day. We're picking up Memmaw and all riding to the airport to get you Sunday. We're all anxious to hear about your week.

    Love - Mom

    ReplyDelete