Monday, July 26, 2010

A Recap, A Laugh, and A More Serious Note




Dear Family and Friends,

We have only been here for three days, but it feels like we stepped off the plane into Panama City a week ago. I think I am going to break this entry into three sections so I can keep everything clear in my mind. Here we go!

About Today:
We woke up early at 7:00 am and had breakfast at the hotel. Once again we Americans gave our best attempt at ordering food that we didn't really know how to order, but for the most part we did a good job. There was a whole lot of pointing at what we wanted on the menus. After breakfast we headed to the work site. At the site we met our "Jafe" or boss and jobs were delegated. About five of us worked on mixing of cement while the others trudged off into the jungle to gather rocks to lay in the foundation. (It was not really the jungle, just down a hill with a few trees. More like a rainforest.) To make three bags of cement you had to take 27 buckets of sand, 21 buckets of rocks, and then add water. This was a very tedious process that we had to do by hand because there was not a cement mixer. We then loaded wheelbarrows full of the "concreto" or concrete and poured them over the rocks we layed. Everyone worked extremely hard. We were all ready to step in when others needed a break. Miriam and Mark made us lunch. We had PB&J and other fruits, nuts, and other snack items were available to us. We continued working after lunch, but after a few hours it started to pour and we packed up early. We stopped at a grocery store and got some snacks then all showered. It was one of the greatest showers of my life. We were all looking really great when we headed to dinner and then to worship in El Cope with the locals. We sang some in English and Spanish and the service was translated for us by Rauel (who is awesome by the way). There was one little baby there who just refused to smile. Other than the baby everyone seemed to like us despite our language barrier. After service we headed back to our beautiful hotel for a devo outside led by Daniel who had me close to tears. We called it a night at about 10:00 and are doing it all again tommorow!


The Laughs Thus Far:
Jefferson Webb.
Haha, but really most of our laughs have come from him. He has a story about everything. Usually ones that really just take it too far, however he never ceases to bring laughter to us all. For example, Chris and Jeff seem to have a very close relationship. They didn't really know each other prior to the trip, but after one fateful plane ride and one night sharing their sleep apnea machine they are the best of friends. The pair is absolutely inseparable! Jeff has offered us all dating advice and just examples on how not to go about things. Our time with Jeff can be summed up in a few short words: first dates, drug references, rose bushes, steps that are too small, first dates, sea paps, and pillow talks.Just feeding each other like best buddies do!
Monica and Denise: The better life counseling center is open 9-5!!!


Today while working I enjoyed singing to my fellow workers the following song:
Bi's, Tri's, and Thighs, the three I's of exercise!
Speaking of thighs... I better move onto the next section.

My More Serious Thoughts:
I came onto this trip not expecting much. I expected your cliche mission trip. We were headed to a foreign country to do "good". I expected to hold children, smile at the locals, and do my best to use some spanish. Don't get me wrong, I was VERY excited, but I had no idea what I was in store for. I was a firm believer that we should focus on mission work in the U.S. before we thought of any other country. I though I should help the others around me before I put effort into complete strangers. Once again God has humbled me and shown me that I am always wrong and he knows what he is doing. Poverty here is just far more widespread than in the U.S. Yes, I know that we have needy people in America, but we have resources (clean public bathrooms, water fountains, welfare, and shelters) that the people in this nation have not even heard of. The rich get richer and poor get poorer here. The wealthy are wealthy and they do not share. I do not make much money, but if I just sent someone $50 a month in Panama they could live on it for about a month. I could not eat out three or four times and have that money to give! The need is so great here, just as it is in many places around the world. If we had more of a concept of a international body of christ rather than one limited to our surroundings, we could do some serious good. I realized being here for less than 48 hours that my world view was completely twisted and I feel that God has opened my eyes to a truth that many do not understand. I hope that some of you can feel the same way I do. Thank you for reading. I speak for everyone when I say we love and miss you. We will stay safe and will see you before you know it.

Speaking of thighs,
Katelyn Jackson

10 comments:

  1. Love your post. I knew you had written it before I finished and saw that you really did write it. I am overwhelmed with pride and love for you and all of the rest of your mission team. You are ambassadors for Christ and reading about how much it is touching you and changing you is inspiring. I am so very proud. LOVE YOU ALL!

    Jam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing what you guys are doing, seeing and learning! Absorb everything you can and bring it home with you! I sure would like to hear a "Daniel devo" someday!

    Debbie

    I miss you Jarchow and love you very much!!!

    Love - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your group will make a big difference in the lives of the people you come in contact with. You are all great examples of how Christ wants us to be. I am so proud to know some of you and hope someday to get to know you all better.
    Seth's Granny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an inspiration to all of us! How encouraging to see the Great Commision lived out in our youth!!Keep up the good work.
    Ms. Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reference to the better life counseling center... I have a feeling I'm going to need some kind of therapy after seeing all these crazy pictures of my husband!!!

    I so look forward to reading this blog every day! You all are making me wish I was with you. You are all are being the hands and feet of Jesus and I'm so proud of each one of you. I look forward to meeting all of you! Especially Jeff...

    Chris - I miss you and love you..... you are absolutely cracking me up...

    Praying for you all, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are thinking about all of you and are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To read your comments each day is such a blessing to know you are making a difference. Not only are you effecting others, you are each becoming a better Christian along the way. We are so proud of you all!

    Love you, Chelsea! We are praying for you.
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is ethan daddy and i went swimming today and i finnaly trusted myself to go in the 4 foot.
    I went under the water completely lots of times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. - Philippians 4:13
    We love the blog! To read your stories always makes me smile and sometimes laugh out loud(Chris and Jefferson). We are so blessed to have such a great group. Keep up the good work!!
    Love, The Pinkstons

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff,

    Working on my 5th batch of jelly. You better hurry though, Eli has taken over as taste tester.

    I am holding up my end of the deal, but it does not sound to me like you are holding up your end. Hope you are feeling better today.

    Miss you lots but know you are where you need to be.

    Love,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete